Artists are out on Spring Break.
I did find some info on Ukrainian Castles. Hope that can inspire us.
I made some headway on sound design, deciding to focus on folk music.
Found an adorable lullaby about a sassy grey cat – and a YouTube video where I could hear it sung. The link also had a midi version of the song, which I grabbed.
I found some other nice audio options at archive.org
Learned a bit about SKLabelNode
Initially, when I added a lives counter to the child node, I could not seem to make the custom font appear.
This link helped me realize i needed to make sure the custom font was included in the build phase for the bindle.
I’m still having some hero control issues. I kept going over my code, finding little things that seem to help, but not fix my problem. ah, debugging… I ended up using git to help me compare code to the example code. Seems that I had some variables set as optional vs required, and vice versa.
A friend told me that many of my errors were symptoms of CopyPasta. I’ll have to keep an eye on that type of thing in the future.
So, after all this 7 hours of tutorial, several other hours of debugging and research, I realized that this project would be a good candidate to use the GamePlayKit features for the things I want to do.
At this point, I’m not sure if I’ll be using them or not. Either way, programming the basics by hand will understand a bit of what GameplayKit is offering. I’m trying not to get sidetracked and stuck in a loop of constantly reworking the foundations. I could push that further out on the timeline.
Completion is always of more value than perfection.
My next goal is to start getting things ready/resized to work for iPad sized devices and the level art, as well as making some new maps, add a timer, and change out the sounds.
Here is a bonus A movie called “The Guide” recently was released at international film contests regarding Kobczars and Stalin.
Also published on Medium.